Saturday, January 4

News Update

Another week has passed; it finds us far from my hometown, on the shore of the biggest lake—the Pacific Ocean! We had quite a struggle to leave John & Marion's on Sunday morning as fresh, wet snow had fallen overnight. However, thanks to Shop Dry and Wendy's shovelling we eventually made it out to Vernon for breakfast and church. On Sunday afternoon, we headed over the Coquihalla, out the lower mainland, and across to Nanaimo on the ferry. There was some compacted snow on the connector, and it was a bit slushy at the summit, but overall the trip went fairly easily. We have enjoyed our week in Parksville, being graciously hosted by Eric/A and the boys. The weather has been temperate, if rainy, and toward the end of the week the sun came out and I even got to enjoy a game of golf. That went surprisingly well since I hadn't played in months; I managed a +9 for the 18 holes which is very good for me. Investments were shaky around the New Year's holiday, but I was blessed with an over quota week all the same, so I'm thankful. I finished December with a good rally, but didn't quite make quota for the month. I plan to write up a little summary of the year's action in a separate blurb once I get settled back in Regina. Our Junior Men's hockey team is playing in the world championships, but they have fallen short for the 5th year running. They are set to play Russia for the bronze medal tomorrow morning. American football is in the playoffs. I will be cheering for the Broncos because of Peyton Manning, otherwise I don't care much about it, although I will be interested to see how far Aaron Rodgers, just returning from a broken collarbone, can take the Packers. 

Liam had a hockey tournament this weekend, so we got to enjoy that along with him. Eric and Erica have had some work days around the New Year's holiday. We all went out bowling one evening, and to the movies another. I enjoyed the second instalment of the Hobbit trilogy with Eric/A, while Wendy, Haaken, Liam and Kristian took in The Frozen. We have enjoyed our week of puzzle-making, recycling, shredding and spending time with this section of our family. 

Erin has been struggling to survive in the cold weather that has descended on Saskatchewan. She did manage a trip to Yorkton to see her brother, Eric, play hockey, and meet up with other members of her birth family. She managed to FaceTime with us a few times, most notably at the summit of the Roger's Pass connecting on Wendy's iPad via my tethered iPhone. 

Travis & Joanna are holding down the fort in TBay. It has also turned bitterly cold there this week. We keep in contact via text, phone and FaceTime. Everything seems to be under control! 

And that's about it for this week! 

No comments: