Saturday, October 18

News Update

Another week has passed here on Lake Superior in the Canadian Shield. We've been around town all week. I haven't had too much to do, which is good as I've just got over one cold, and I have another! The weather has been nice, but my health has prevented me from getting to the golf course.

Monday, of course, was Thanksgiving, so we enjoyed the day with family around. Then Tuesday was election day for Canada, and we took our turns as participants and observers. Wendy even worked at our local poll as scrutineer in the evening. She watched the counting of ballots to ensure all was done fairly. It's quite a good system, our southern neighbour should try it some time. The country maintains the voters' list, all ballots are cast with a simple X on a paper ballot, and the counting is completed within a couple of hours. No big issues with voter fraud, machine fraud, hanging chads!, disenfranchisement—just each person being able to express their choice! What a concept! We were also happy as our local favourite was elected to parliament; he's tried several times and has finally been successful.

Wednesday, I was off to see my oncologist. He reported that my PSA level was unchanged, and he reported that the DRE felt good—on that point, I disagreed! In any case, I am scheduled for my next check-up next April. I feel reassured that he is keeping tabs on the situation.

I have been working a little on a data project related to my schools. All Junior and Senior Kindergarten and grade one students are being tested on their oral language abilities. These is a multi-faceted set of tests that can produce around forty individual items of data on each student. I have established data sheets to track the data and feed it into a larger data base for studies of the various factors that may need to be considered and improved to assist these students. This project comes to a deadline early next week, so I collecting data from the schools and assembling it for submission to the regional data base.

Aside from election activities, Wendy keeps busy with home and church activities. She has also resumed a more vigorous work-out routine, so that keeps her going.

Erin & Kristian are beginning preparations for Hallowe'en. Kristian is suffering with a cold as well; I don't know if he gave it to me, or vice versa! Perhaps we'll get to carving a pumpkin soon!

Trav keeps busy with his school work, his graphic design and web site contracts, his delivery work and hockey. His Penguins are doing only so-so!

And that's about it for this week!

No comments: